Black Bean Soup
- 10 slices bacon, finely chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 box (14.5 oz.) chicken stock (homemade or recommended: Kitchen Basics)
- 1 (15.5 oz.) can tomatoes
- 2 (15.5 oz.) cans Ro-tel tomatoes with chilies
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tblsp. Chili powder
- 4 (15.5 oz.) cans black beans, drained but not rinsed
- Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1 bunch cilantro
- Juice and zest of one lime
- Thinly sliced scallions, for garnish
- Sour cream, for garnish
- Crumbled Queso Fresco cheese, for garnish (mild cheddar can be substituted)
- Cook bacon over medium heat until it gives up enough of its fat to add onions.
- Cook onions until they are translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add stock, tomatoes, Worcestershire and chili powder and stir.
- Add beans and bring to a boil. Adjust heat down to a simmer and cook 10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, pick the leaves off the washed cilantro. Coarsely chop and stir into soup while it simmers.
- Stir in lime juice and zest and serve with garnishes.