Beer Cheese and Bacon Soup
- 2 slices bacon
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tblsp. butter
- 2 tblsp. chopped fresh thyme leaves, plus
- sprigs for garnish
- 1 (12 oz.) bottle dark beer
- 1 quart chicken stock (homemade or recommended: Kitchen Basics)
- 1 cup grated sharp white cheddar
- 1 pint heavy cream
- Salt and white pepper
- Fry bacon until crisp, remove, chop and reserve.
- Add onion, butter and thyme leaves to bacon grease and cook until onions are translucent, about 8 minutes.
- Add beer, stock, and cheese. Add cream and salt and pepper.
- Puree with an immersion blender and season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with bacon bits and fresh thyme sprigs.
- Serve with warmed pumpernickel rye bread.